|John Abikhaled, MD FACS|
Dr. Abikhaled was born in Atlanta, Georgia, and has made his home in Austin since 1981. After graduating from Rice University in 1988, he completed medical school and residency in General Surgery at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. He has practiced in Austin since 1997.
Dr. Abikhaled has special interest in thyroid and parathyroid surgery. He treats conditions such as thyroid nodules, thyroid cancer, and hyperparathyroidism. He uses advanced techniques such as MIRP (minimally invasive radio-guided parathyroidectomy) and IOPTH (intra-operative parathyroid hormone testing) to facilitate his patients’ surgery and recovery.
Dr. Abikhaled has extensive experience in abdominal hernia repair, such as inguinal, umbilical, incisional, ventral, epigastric, and hiatal hernias. He performs laparoscopic and open hernia repairs.
In addition, he is an experienced laparoscopic surgeon, treating gallbladder disease, colon disease (including cancer and diverticulitis), hernias, acid reflux (GERD), and adrenal gland disease. He also performs robotic-assisted surgery, which can allow for more complex operations to be performed with minimally invasive laparoscopic techniques.
Dr. Abikhaled treats a variety of cancer conditions, including breast cancer, melanoma of the skin, thyroid cancer, and colon cancer.
Certification and Memberships
- American Board of Surgery
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- Texas Medical Association
- Travis County Medical Society
- American Hernia Society
- Society of Robotic Surgery
- Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons.
Dr. Abikhaled has served as Chief of General Surgery at Seton Medical Center and on hospital and surgery center boards and committees in the Austin area.
Honors and Recognition
He has been recognized by Austin Monthly Magazine, U.S. News and World Report, and Castle Connolly as a “Top Doctor”.
Austin Community College named Dr. Abikhaled “Preceptor of the Year” in 2008 for his efforts in teaching new Surgical Technology students and he has been nominated as Distinguished Surgeon by the Association of Perioperative Nurses.
Dr. Abikhaled’s wife, Shannon Abikhaled, MD, is an Obstetrician/Gynecologist practicing here in Austin. They have three children and enjoy travel and various outdoor activities. They participate regularly in medical missions overseas. Dr. Abikhaled helped establish a breast cancer screening clinic in Nicaragua through Austin Samaritans.
Here are some comments Dr. Abikhaled’s patients have posted on www.ratemds.com:
- “Dr. Abikhaled was recommended by a physician friend of mine who used him as a surgeon for himself and for his own family. Dr. Abikhaled is a very thorough in his assessments and his practice of medicine is impressive. I would unquestionably recommend him to my own family and friends. KUDOS for Dr. Abikhaled!!”
- “I have never given feedback online before but Dr. Abikhaled saw me after a significant bicycle crash. He was kind, understanding, extremely knowledgeable and creative in his approach to handling my injury (even without surgery). I recommend him highly.”
- “Dr. Abikhaled is a truly gifted, compassionate surgeon. Because of his skills, he saved my leg and my life. I trust him, I’ve referred several family members and friends to him, and they experienced the same excellent results.”
- “Dr. Abikhaled is a very thorough surgeon. My medical issues were unexplainable and he worked with me and when he realized that he had done all he knew to help me, he referred me to another wonderful physician where he went to medical school. To me he went above and beyond his duties. He will always be my first choice for a surgeon in Austin.”
Laparoscopic da Vinci Left Adrenalectomy
da Vinci Heller Myotomy