Please closely follow the following steps:
- Discuss any current medications with the physician who prescribed them, or with the anesthetist at your pre-op visit.
- Fill prescription for the HalfLytely kit at your pharmacy, which includes the oral prep solution and Dulcolax (Bisacodyl) tablets. Instructions on how to prepare and take the solution will be enclosed.
1 Day Prior to Surgery:
- Read the instructions included in the kit.
- Two antibiotics are usually prescribed. They are taken together until completed at 1:00 PM, 5 PM, and 9 PM.
- 1:30 PM: Take the Dulcolax (Bisacodyl) tabs
- 3:00 PM: Drink the HalfLytely solution until finished.
- Continue to drink clear liquids until bedtime. Clear liquids include: carbonated beverages (with & without caffeine), black coffee, tea, decaffeinated beverages, fruit flavored drinks, plain gelatin (Jell-O), popsicles, fruit juices, clear broth, bouillon and clear hard candy. Foods NOT allowed include: Dairy products of any sort, popsicles with fruit and juices with pulp.
- If your surgery is the following morning, have NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT. If your surgery is the following afternoon, hospital staff/anesthetist will inform you at your pre-operative visit when you must stop eating and drinking.
Day of Surgery:
Arrive at the hospital or surgery center at the time instructed by pre-operative personnel.